2017 Liebster Award Nomination
Nomination for the Liebster Award!
Yay!! It is nearly a year since I first started my blog. Initially, I just wanted to put my thoughts on a screen. Now it has evolved into a platform I will share my experiences of living on the road whilst traveling to every country in the world. I have received a Liebster Award nomination. One of the many positives of blogging is we get to nominate other bloggers for awards. The Liebster Award nomination is one of them. A HUGE thank you goes to Kosovo Girl Travels who nominated me for my first Blogger award!
In this post you will learn a little more about me and why I started traveling when I answer a few questions from Kosovo Girl Travels. I am also nominating a few more Travel Bloggers so make sure you go check out their amazing work!
What is the Liebster Award
In 2011 The Liebster Award started as an initiative for small blogs. With a nomination, bloggers can grow their presence and influence. The Liebster Award is considered a networking tool. The official rules state that the nominated blogger has to pay it forward to at least five other newly established bloggers.
My favorite blog
Initially, this was difficult to answer. I made it complicated. But I had to go back to the beginning. The first blog I would read every single post. The only blog I will still read every single post. It is written by one of my best friends from my previous life. The Ava Project takes us back to what it is all about. The writing, being vulnerable and sharing yourself without any pretenses. It is letters written to her daughter. They are beautifully written and with pure talent.
There is no fancy self-hosted site. The real beauty is in the words. It is written for a very special girl who has been stealing hearts with her gorgeous curls since the day she entered the world.
I could try and describe what The Ava Project is about but I am unable to say it in a better manner than Ally.
“Diagnosed with autism and global developmental delay at the age of 3, my beautiful daughter Ava is – in my eyes – too special for this world.
She is different. She will always be different.
This blog serves as a collection of my thoughts on the matter. A reassurance to her – and anyone else who might be wondering – that not only is it okay to be different; it’s something to be celebrated.” – Alex Mutu
This is an example for new and upcoming bloggers that you do not need a self-hosted, advanced technology site to remain someone’s favorite blog. You need beautiful writing and honesty.
10 Random facts about me
- I never felt like I had a hobby until I started traveling – Now my hobbies are travel, photography, and writing.
- At the age of 12, I lived with my parents in an RV for 6 months. They traveled up and down the East Coast of Australia.
- I was born on my mum’s birthday – On her 50th birthday, I turned 25!
- I prefer to drink my coffee black
- I can speak three languages: English, Afrikaans, Indonesian
- My first destination overseas as an adult was China
- I have 2 sisters
- My major is Policy and Governance + Law
- My biggest passion is to raise mental health awareness around the globe
- I served for more than 8 years in the military
Questions for Kosovo Girl Travels
1. Out of all the countries, you have visited, which one did you like the most?
For me, this is a difficult question. I don’t have favorites but when it comes to being able to see family those are my favorite times. So far I have met up with family in Thailand, Botswana, South Africa, Amsterdam, and Italy.
2. When was the first time you heard about Kosovo?
About a year ago when I started traveling. I decided to travel to every single country. This is when I learned Kosovo is not one of the UN recognized countries. Kosovo is on my list though. If I went to Kosovo I would not consider myself as having been to Serbia.
3. What is the best memory that has while traveling?
This is also a difficult question but it would have to be when I really started this year and became friends with a Bollywood actress in Seychelles.
4. Do you travel with a to-do plan or you like spontaneity?
I have a rough guide but it constantly changes. Usually, I have no plans for the week and am free to go literally anywhere in the world.
5. Have you ever visited a place just because you saw it in a book/series/animation/movie? What was that place?
I would not say I specifically travel to places I have seen featured. I have been to many locations now though featured in a book. I did make sure to go to Angkor Tom in Cambodia knowing it was featured in Laura Croft: Tomb Raider.
6. Have you made friends while traveling with whom you are still in touch?
Yes, plenty and I hope to go visit them as well. I don’t make as many friends lately since I have realized how much I hate goodbyes.
7. Do you like to visit touristy places or go off the beaten path?
Definitely, prefer off the beaten path. My favorite visits are always when I am the only tourist there and it does happen!
8. What is a country that you just can’t get enough of?
Hmm, would have to be South Africa. There is so much left to explore and I was born here!
9. Is there any country you are not allowed to travel to (for any reason)?
Not exactly. I am fortunate with my passport but there are logistics to work around. Nauru may be a little tricky, Saudi Arabia I will need a business visa or be accompanied by a male and visiting Israel can make entering other countries tricky.
10. If traveling was free, where would you be now?
I am managing to travel full-time but, stick to a budget. It would enable me to go to all the events I would love to go to on the other side of the globe. Instead, I stick to regions with minimal long distance flights.
11. What is the scariest thing you have experienced while traveling?
When I was in Botswana we took a road that no one drives on. We had to go through water. My brother-in-law was driving. The engine ended up being flooded. We were stuck for hours in the water that may or may not have been infested with crocodiles and hippopotamus. Eventually, a Safari Land Cruiser towed us to our campsite. All we had was a satellite phone and help to be 6 hours away.
Liebster Award nominations from me
Questions for my nominees
- What advice do you have for someone starting a travel blog?
- Is there anyone in the world you hope to run into at an airport?
- What do you think of selfie sticks?
- What is your preferred method of travel? (Car/Train/Bus/Plane/Ship/Other)
- What is your most prized possession while traveling?
- Where did you take your first trip as an adult?
- Do you blog while you travel or wait till you get home?
- What is your favorite post you wrote and why?
- Do you have a guilty pleasure while traveling?
- What do you think is the ingredient to success as a travel blogger?
- What is your favorite social media platform and why?